Monday, September 10, 2012

A Garden

   I've been savoring the last of summer by spending a lot of time outdoors lately. Apart from a much-needed camping trip to Yosemite (pictures soon),  I've also been spending my lazy afternoons sitting around in my boyfriend's amazing backyard. I wish I had a garden of my own! Helping my boyfriend and his brother water their herbs and veggies really brightens my day, especially before I have to go to work.

   Gardening is awesome. Seriously, it's such a relaxing and rewarding experience. Although it's not my backyard, I often find myself eager to help tend the garden and get my hands dirty. There's nothing quite as satisfying as growing, harvesting, and preparing meals with produce fresh from the backyard. People tend to live life with such a disconnect from our environment and the very things in nature that we rely on and cannot exist without. It's good to be reminded that we have evolved to be a part of our planet and to take care of it, not to simply take. 

   When you put a lot of hard work into something, you really learn to appreciate what you're doing.


   In case you're curious, my boyfriend and his family are growing onions, bell peppers, various assortments of tomatoes, thyme, pumpkin, lavender, basil (homemade marinara sauce simmered in wine is ridiculously tasty!), eggplant, chili peppers, and more. :) Have I convinced you try your hand at this yet?

   Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

11 comments:

Cashmeremafia said...

great post!!! ;) your blog is amazing
kisses pretty
http://blogcashmeremafia.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love that post! I also love gardening!
Mira mi primer post/ Look at my first post: http://doitnaturalnow.blogspot.com.es/

Fashionable Memories said...

SUch a nice blog!! I love reading your blog post!!! If you have a chance, please visit/follow my fashion blog. Your supports will mean a lot to me. THanks so much in advance! I look forward to here from you and to read more of your future blog posts!!!!

Mike @TheIronYou said...

Hi Melody, thanks for stopping by TheIronYou and leaving such nice comments.
Congrats on your garden, it looks amazing.
I'll follow you now!

Meg said...

Ooh I love this post! So darling. I am definitely following!

http://lifeatruestory4.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I LOVE gardening. I'm drooling thinking of all the tasty marinara sauce you're gonna make!

XOXO
-Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
http://psbananas.com

Katie Frank said...

such lovely photos :) just follow you :)!
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/CoeursDeFoxes

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

Gardening is such a fun and rewarding way to connect with nature. And nothing beats fresh herbs and veggies. I just wish I didn't have such a black thumb.

Rowena @ rolala loves

hope in high heels said...

my husband feels exactly the same way about gardening - he says it's peaceful, relaxing and you can derive a great sense of satisfaction from it. I haven't tried it ever since the time I killed an aloe... by love (aka over-watering!).

Love the new direction your blog is taking, can't wait to read more!

Paulina said...

great blog ! Would you like to follow each other ?

Anonymous said...

This garden is gorgeous :) Sounds like a perfectly fabulously way to spend your time :]
<3 Sarah
http://www.closetchecklist.com